[Dragaera] Drive-by poll about titles

Matthew Hunter matthew at infodancer.org
Tue Jun 26 21:11:04 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 15:42 -0700, A.S. Zanoni wrote:
> Visualize your favorite Brust titles.  Limit yourself to three.
> Send those three to the list.
> I will reply to the list - when I'm back.

I'm visualizing... visualizing... is anyone receiving me?  Anyone?

Oh well, back to normal technology.

If we are going to do audiobooks, we absolutely must begin with Paarfi's
The Phoenix Guards.  But only on condition that the reader absolutely,
totally gets the whole "Paarfi" thing and enunciates the character.  I
want to hear Paarfi reading his notebooks, not some random person
reading a book.

Agyar, for the same deal.  I want the right voice, including the
appropriate accent.  I want the faint clicking of keys on a typewriter.
And I want the last chapter read in the right voice for that chapter.

I'd like to hear Vlad, too, but I don't think any of his books are good
candidates for an audiobook.  You'd have to start chronologically to be
fair, and the early ones are more than a little... ah... shall we say,
rough?

I'd like a new Vlad story, released only in audiobook format.  I'd like
the story of how Vlad got his shiny metal device to narrate things into,
preferably told by Brust-the-character in the form of an interview with
Vlad, followed by the first adventure Vlad narrates, complete with
questions and interjections from Brust and hissing from Looish.  I want
to hear Vlad snarking into the microphone.  I'd like to have him carry
the thing around with him with appropriate sound effects.  "The Phoenix
Guard before me doesn't appear to have been fooled by my clever *thud*
*urk* disguise..."  I'd like to hear Morrolan, Sethra, Aliera, and the
whole gang in full snark-and-repartee, with different voice actors for
each part.  (But not the Issola spoiler.  Ieew.)  This is a far more
enjoyable experience than merely having an adventure read to you, and
Vlad's peculiar life will not come through properly without it.

And I'd like at least one case where the sound effects clearly
contradict what Vlad narrates.

(Any and all ideas expressed in this post are hereby placed in the
public domain.  Brust is welcome to use them without acknowledgement or
royalty.)