[Dragaera] Drive-by poll about titles

Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 28 12:07:28 PDT 2007

Philip Hart wrote:
> I'm curious why _Taltos_ is coming up so often.  I don't think the
> intercutting threads or the deus ex witchcraft ending work all that well.
> The backstory and character intro stuff are certainly valuable, but
> I seem to recall most of the other novels in the series as more complex
> and deeper.

Really?  I've always enjoyed the interweaving of three different plot
lines winding together in the end.  A friend of mine has been dying to
know if it was written just that way, or broken up in re-writes, but
I've been determined to not ask directly.  Some things are best left
unknown. :)

No, I didn't put _Taltos_ in my Three, but not because I don't enjoy it.
  Given the nature of audiobooks and the desire to strum up more readers
through them, there are better ones and better Vlad books.  For myself,
one of my favorite of all Brust's books is _Issola_, but I wouldn't hand
a virgin Brustian _Issola_ as a starting place.  :)

But then, I love _Yendi_, too.  Dang limit of three!  Bah!

:)
Chris