[Dragaera] floating castles

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu Jul 5 09:21:57 PDT 2007

Margaret Young wrote:
> Sorry if I have missed something here.
>
> Before the Interregnum teleportation was not in common use.
>
> There were floating castles before the Interregnum.
>
> How did people get to the castles without teleportation?

An excellent question. I can think of three likely possibilities:

1) The castles themselves would float up and down to allow entry/egress
of guests and material. (Hence, they were not as "fixed" in the sky as
Castle Black seems to be.)

2) Some kind of viaduct, stairway, or other fixed pathway was linked to
the castle from the ground. This could have been one of two varieties:
   a) Magical: Meaning is may not have been permanently attached, and
was possibly "constructed" of of solid air, so as not to create an eyesore
   b) Non-Magical: Meaning it was a big gangly thing stretching way up
into the air, and either permanently attached to the castle, or perhaps
it would operate like a dock where the castle would nestle up alongside
and be lashed in place when there was traffic.

3) Things/People would simply be lifted up to the castle. This also
could take two forms:
   a) Magical: Levitation of a person or significant chattels would seem
to be child's play compared to a whole castle.
   b) Non-Magical: Ropes, pulleys, and counterbalances could accomplish
the same thing. But is decidedly less cool.

I can think of arguments in favor of, and against, all the above
possibilities. It is also possible that more than one method was used.
(For example, it would hardly make sense to lower the whole castle for a
single visiting Teckla, he would probably just get levitated up. But if
there's a massive delivery of stone for new construction on the west
tower, lowering the castle itself to onload the bulky materials might
make much more sense.)

Majikjon

There are also less likely possibilities. Say, a large catapult or
trebuchet underneath the castle, and guests and equipment would just be
hurled upwards.

Less practical, but probably lots more fun!