[Dragaera] Distractions, unrelated, caused by poll answers

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Jul 11 08:11:29 PDT 2007

Ken Koester wrote:
> Philip Hart wrote:
>

>> Just for the record, these are (afaik anyway) just metasyntactic
>> variables, aka placeholders, in computer programming:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metasyntactic_variable
>>

> Yes and no.  They are, but their ultimate provenance is much older, I
> think:  the WWII (or even older, mid-30s, I seem to recall)-era "fubar"
> and "snafu", acronyms that were obscene in their original form. . . .

There's an "obvious" connection there, but the jargon file argues that
it may be the other way around -- "foo" may have come first, and turned
into "foobar" under the influence of something, perhaps German
"furchtbar" (terrible).   Foo appears in the mid 30s at least.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery