[Dragaera] OT: Ray Bradbury

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 12:41:47 PDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Scott wrote:

> Bradbury is not the first author I've heard of who has lamented that
> everyone missed the point of a famous story. My general reaction,  is that
> the author failed to properly make his point in that case, or else he
> himself misunderstood the point of the story. _Farenheit 451_ is an
> excellent example. The story, as written, doesn't provide any support that I
> can remember for the idea that the government started burning books because
> people had stopped reading them. The idea doesn't even make any sense to me
> except in the context of censorship and mind-control.

There was a post to Making Light which points out that Bradbury's own
afterword to F451, more than a couple decades ago, states that the
tale is indeed about censorship.

  http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/009076.html

I shall leave it to others to speculate on the possible reasons for
the more recent contradictory assertion.