[Dragaera] Less than 17 comments on _FHYA_

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 29 23:17:21 PDT 2007

0. The Dean of Pamlar U. points out in her introduction a lovely
device at the beginning of the history: the Teckla messenger proceeds
even as Paarfi stops to describe her, suggesting the ineluctable
current carrying events forward (despite Paarfi's own inclinations).
I sometimes wonder if I would have noticed this, and if I am missing
other similar felicities in the Texts.

1. Pel tells Khaavren at the end of Chapter 2 that he (that is,
Khaavren) is, like Adron, "destined to rise to ever greater heights
until they tower over all other mortals".  If he (that is, Pel) is
telling truth, or in any case is right, there's a lot more of
Khaavren story for us to learn.

2. Chapter 19 has, for lack of a bettter term, the page title
"A Dragon, A Lyorn, and Two Jhereg".  The conclusion, "Walk into
a bar" springs immediately to mind.  And in fact the Jhereg do
walk into a bar.  A very high-class, exclusive bar, and it may
be somewhat surprising that they are allowed to do so.

3. At the end of Chapter 22, Rollondar sends a messenger to his
wife.  The messenger asks if he should await a reply before
returning, and R. replies that he will not be returning.  How
in the world could he come to such a prophetic conclusion?

4. At the end of Chapter 24, Paarfi describes some of Tortaalik's
inner thoughts.  This is an example of data which Paarfi can
hardly have any access to by any means I can come up with.
It's a minor problem for Paarfi absolutists.

5. The last word on page 361 (ppb), "some", is very interesting
in context - it refers to Adron, Aerich, Aliera, and Sethra,
"some of whom live even as we write these words".