[Dragaera] Less than 17 comments on _FHYA_

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 11:49:02 PDT 2007

From: "John Dallman" <jgd at cix.co.uk>
> In article <Pine.SOC.4.64.0707292248340.2989 at flora03.slac.stanford.edu>,
> philiph at slac.stanford.edu (Philip Hart) wrote:
>
> > 5. The last word on page 361 (ppb), "some", is very interesting
> > in context - it refers to Adron, Aerich, Aliera, and Sethra,
> > "some of whom live even as we write these words".
>
> Well, Adron is generally believed to be dead. The fact that his
> personality still exists in some way in the Lesser Sea of Chaos is
> something known to few, since Aleria discovers it during Issola. Some
> might think this counts against Sethra-as-Paarfi; I reckon if that were
> what's going on, she'd hardly give away confidential information.

...or maybe she felt perfectly safe giving it away, since she figured no one would believe her anyway?

Or perhaps something else has happened to make Adron's survival no longer such a closely guarded secret?

> Aerich is dead, if Paarfi is writing after the events of tVoA. I see no
> reason why Aleria should not still be alive by the time Paarfi is
> writing, and Sethra is not dead as such; Paarfi's pedantry is not
> unlimited.

Aliera has proven almost impossible to kill. Permanently, anyway.
Aerich may get reincarnated at some point.
Sethra is not really "alive" but not really "dead" either.

It may be just as telling that this statement implies that some of these people are *still dead* as it is that some of them are still alive.