[Dragaera] RGR was scifi.com's Site of the Week!

Johne Cook johne.cook at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:44:39 PDT 2007

Speaking of space opera, a post in the RGR forums notified us that Ray Gun
Revival magazine was the scifi.com Site of the Week for June 13, 2007!

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/sites/sfw15948.html

Ray Gun Revival
http://www.raygunrevival.com

By Ken Newquist

In these days of dystopian cybernetic futures, transhumanist mass-mind
uploads and generational star travel, it can be nice to get back to science
fiction's pulp roots, where humans were real humans, space travel was a
thrilling adventure and the evil genius of Planet X could be defeated with
little more than brains, guts and a trusty ray gun.

Ray Gun Revival offers exactly that. Its namesake 'zine is available as a
free PDF download and features short stories and artwork inspired by the
Golden Age adventures of yesteryear. More than 20 issues of the 'zine are
available, each running 30 to 50 pages. Artwork can make or break a
magazine, particularly a labor of love like Ray Gun Revival.

Fortunately, the editorial staff realizes this and consistently finds cover
art that perfectly complements its space-opera content while visually
reinforcing that this isn't yet another grim-future publication.

The 'zine's mix of short stories and serialized fiction is reminiscent of
the pulps of old (not to mention their modern-day descendants, such as
Analog and Asimov's), and the format works well for it. The stories are
amusing reads that are light-years away from dark and depressing, and
die-hard Golden Age fans should be perfectly at home within its pages.

The 'zine is complemented by a podcast called Ray Gun Radio, each episode of
which features an audio short story, an author interview and the occasional
podsafe music feature.

I have no idea how he found us, but I am very grateful. This is huge, and
our visits for June were up from 7,871 to 19,223. I thought that might be an
anomaly, but July was up even from that to 20,779 visits. Whee! We're just
over here vaporizing planets in celebration!

Johne Cook
Overlord, Ray Gun Revival magazine
http://raygunrevival.com