[Dragaera] Kragar - SPOILERS

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Dec 28 14:16:05 PST 2007

>Okay, so I was waiting to post this until after my wife read _Dzur_ and I
>could talk with her about it without spoiling the book.

>This should be fair warning---Thar be spoilers here!

>_____________________________

Pretty much everything I've ever wondered about Kragar is already documented
at the Lyorn Records under Speculation:Kragar.

http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Speculation:Kragar

I do find the idea that the animosity between Aliera and Kragar is some kind
of put-on to be mildly interesting, but with no evidence to support it or
explain it, I can't really think of it as anything more than an amusing
thought experiment.

Try this speculation on for size - As depicted in Dzur, Mario is not just
late middle-aged, he's terribly old-fashioned. Almost as if he's been out of
touch with civilization for a long time. If we figure that Morollan was born
shortly after the beginning of the Interregnum and that, due to Aliera's
"hibernation", that she and Morollan are roughly the same physical age, then
Mario ought to be just  a little bit older. In Easterner terms, where
Morollan and Aliera are in their mid-late twenties, Mario ought to be in his
late thirties; maybe just turning forty. The Interregnum lasted only a few
hundred years; not even a full generation for a Dragaeran. Mario ought to be
older but not, IMO, as old as he appears to be in _Dzur_.

Sethra punished Sethra the Younger by sending her to another dimension where
time runs faster than it does on Dragaera and giving her a job that would
take years to accomplish. (Writing "I won't mess with internal Empire
politics" in the sand ten million times or some such.) When she returned, a
short time had passed for the Empire even though a couple of years had
passed for her.

It may be that Mario and Kragar first became acquainted due to some
adventure in which Kragar assisted Mario, something went horribly wrong, and
Mario ended up dumped in an alternate universe for 1000 years until he was
rescued shortly after Aliera's re-corporation. Aliera truly loves Mario and
therefore sees past his current age to his heart but she still hates Kragar
for robbing her of her beautiful young man that she remembers from the final
days of Dragaera City. If Kragar's actions vis-a-vis Mario also resulted in
his expulsion, so much the better her reasons for despising him.

If this theoretical mishap resulted not just in treason but in Kragar's
acquisition of his "unoticability", then it might be all the more reason for
House Dragon to expel him. Treason is bad enough, but when the traitor is
able to walk into your house and rifle through your personal files without
you noticing then he becomes too dangerous to allow anywhere near your
House. The only question is why just expel him when a death sentence seems
like a more expedient solution? Kragar would have had to have some hold over
the House leadership that prevented them from accusing him before the Orb
and having him sent to the Star.