[Dragaera] Gift Shop

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 17:48:00 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 4:28 PM, Elizabeth Dalton  wrote:

> "The wearer of this shirt, while by no means claiming to be that most
> eminent of historians, nevertheless does themselves the honor to suggest
> that they very nearly think in the mode favored by the eloquent (and
> some might suggest voluble) scholar and author, Paarfi of Roundwood."

I very nearly entirely think that if it were to happen that one should
*ask* Paarfi of Roundwood about the manner or style in which he
chooses to express the history of Dragaera, he would gladly and humbly
acknowledge that he did indeed aspire to eloquence, but he would also
insist with great emotion and vehemence that he was in no wise
voluble, but was in point of fact instead, brief.

> Sorry about the "themselves" and "they," but I excuse them on the
> grounds that Dragaeran apparently has a genderless pronoun, and this is
> the closest equivalent that colloquial English offers. At least, in my
> opinion.

Yes, but Brust-translating-Paarfi uses "himself", "him".  Paarfi isn't
too happy about this; see the afterword of FHYA.

Given that those of the definite female gender might desire such a
shirt, I suppose accommodation and compromise might well be in order,
of course.

It could also be reworded to read something with "one does oneself the
honor", &c, I imagine.