[Dragaera] Shelley and Dunaan

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 12 21:06:48 PST 2008

I've been thinking a little about Percy Bysshe Shelley lately
and it struck me how self-dramatising the following line from
the great "Ode to the West Wind" is:

I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!

I was reminded of Dunaan's death speech in _FHYA_ (pg. 453):
"... I perceive my speech is slurring.  My breath is going.
I cannot speak!  I die, I die."
"Well," said Khaavren.
"Well," said Mario.

Paarfi makes "well" do a lot of work throughout his Texts,
but perhaps nowhere more than here.  I wonder if Dunaan's
speech is considered not rather brave and certainly affecting
(which is how I've perceived it until now) but over-the-top
and in poor taste by Khaavren and Mario.

The above in response to the discussion of "stoic" earlier.