[Dragaera] A Paarfict Storm

Diana diana.neat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 09:35:49 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 10:57 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
> Howard Brazee wrote:
> > Diana wrote:
> >
> >> A very minor note, again regarding spacing: double spaces after
> >> periods (or other forms of punctuation) are unnecessary unless one is
> >> using a typewriter font (which I sincerely hope the final product will
> >> not be).
> >>

> > A quick check shows no big gap between sentences in the books in
> > question.    It seems to me that at one time type set books often had an
> > extra half space gap, but that was when type was set by hand.
> >

> And posts to this list, particularly of text in development, might well
> be regarded as manuscripts, which in modern practice still *do* call for
> double spacing after sentences.

Even when a proportional font is being used? I don't think I've ever
seen one in a monospace font, and personally, I'd much rather authors
be able to do a find and replace to get rid of all double spaces
before they finalize their files, just so that I don't have to worry
about typesetters missing some in the middle of a sentence. (And then
trusting that the proofreaders will catch it. And on, and on...)