[Dragaera] A Paarfict Storm

Diana diana.neat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:43:24 PST 2008

> I have little knowledge of that part of publishing, except for the
> general impression that it's remarkably unsimilar to fiction publishing.
>
> I don't know how it is in your part of the business, but fiction
> publishers aren't typesetters, printers, or bookbinders; all that is
> farmed out to a large array of independent outfits.

Same deal here; I work for a company that employs maybe a dozen
people, and we do most of our work for large-monolithic-imprint of
massive-publishing-conglomerate.

And yes, we still use paper copies of manuscripts for editing and
keymarking and whatnot--but the books are all typeset in India (our
company used to be a couple dozen people, a few years ago, and don't
get me started on *that*). We scan the manuscripts as .pdfs so that
they can get the markup and corrections, but still, the actual work is
done on the electronic text files that the author/publisher supplies.

Even though we're still paper-based, I know some companies have moved
over to editing entirely electronically. I don't think I could stand
that.