[Dragaera] A Paarfict Storm

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:09:06 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 8:33 AM, Scott Schultz wrote:

> Yanking the thread back on topic, I'd say that Revision Mk 30 is nearly
> perfect. My only quibble at this point is that I can't recall any examples
> of anybody "doing themselves the honor" of doing something for themselves.
> Honor comes from accepting a favor from another or from offering favor to
> another; i.e., from performing a duty.

Well.

I suppose that one could respond by suggesting that it is the duty of
every citizen to visit the capital of one's Empire (or Kingdom, or
even Republic, as the case may be), in order to demonstrate respect
for the system of government of which he is a part.  One might also
suggest that the two individuals of a marriage have a duty to each
other, to perform activities co-operatively for the purpose of
strengthening the marriage bond.  One might even suggest, albeit
weakly, that every individual has the duty to take care of himself,
and therefore specifically seek a certain degree of personal
recreation and entertainment, although obviously not to excess.

But more importantly, one might point out that a mere quibble is
neither a better idea, nor is it an expression of unhappiness in no
uncertain terms, and that therefore the most appropriate response in
this specific instance is to echo the prior response of the noble
Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood.

> Regardless, I have no problem with accepting Revision Mk 30 as it stands. I
> think it's reaching the stage where much more polish is going to start
> grinding away the finish entirely.

Or in other words: that admirably brief and exceedingly definitive
ejaculation of "Stet!"