[Dragaera] No traffic since February?

Margaret Young myoung at albion.edu
Thu Mar 13 15:57:39 PDT 2008

Matthew, please, I am not insulting half of mankind. Part of my work
involves doing intensive media analysis and I am merely reporting on
what the dominant media stereotypes are. They are not, repeat not,
repeat not, MY stereptypes — they are those found in the media today.

Margaret

>>> Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> 3/13/2008 6:40:14 PM >>>
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 06:05:01PM -0400, Margaret Young
<myoung at albion.edu> wrote:
> I wasn't evoking cultural stereotypes, I was interested in the fact
that
> Brust was himself specifically choosing not to evoke them ??? that
he
> had given Vlad a "job" around which there are clear cultural
stereotypes
> and then chose to have him act (within his character) in ways that
> challenged popular cultural understandings of the how to respond.
>
> In other words, look at detective/hard-boiled fiction ??? see the
> patterned way of responding to the situation and then look at what
Brust
> chose to do.
>
> <frustration> I felt I was clearly stating not what I thought Vlad
> SHOULD do, but what genre tropes would have had him do
</frustration>

Perhaps you out to have said "like an assassin", or even
"like a mob enforcer", rather than "like a man", so you can
avoid condemning half of humanity as violent uncaring brutes and
settle for condemning those whose profession is illegal violence
as violent uncaring brutes.

Even so, I don't know that there was much stereotype-challenging
going on with regard to his profession.  Vlad gets up to a lot
of mindless violence in Teckla.  It's just sort of in the
background.