[Dragaera] Temporal Fugue

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 13 20:41:15 PDT 2008

In _Issola_ (I think) Sethra muses about godness and mentions
that the ability to be in two places at once implies others.
I was just wondering what those other abilities might be.
Thread reentry or integration (or whatever the proper technical
computing term is - was threading around when SKZB was working
as a programmer?) is the first that comes to mind. (Maybe Verra
et al. is/are three threads [subclasses?] that never joined back up?)
How does one organize the information from parallel memory?
How does one deal with the extra set of atoms, for that matter?
Is the whole thing consistent with conservation of energy?

Anyway, I wanted to mention, in case it hasn't been noted here
before, that Zelazny's _Creatures of Light And Darkness_
describes a fighting technique called "temporal fugue" in which
the master replicates himself for a while forward and backward
in time.  This is a quite local effect, and maybe more like
a conservation-of-energy-can-be-violated-at-short-intervals
thing than how I imagine the gods to function, but who knows.