[Dragaera] No traffic since February?

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Mar 17 15:05:59 PDT 2008

>I don't entirely follow you here.  What would being Malcolm X mean in the
>Dragaeran context?

It's an imperfect analogy, I'll grant you. I was reaching for someone who,
unlike Martin Luther King Jr, say, had a history of violence, crime,  and
even racism in his past, maybe even some Marxist ideals, but who eventually
turned his efforts into empowering his "people" instead of overthrowing the
oppressors. In other words, the sort of leader who might inspire the cause
of "Easterner Power!" and create the "Eastern Dzur" and otherwise inspire
radical social change from within instead of by trying to destroy the
opposition. I suppose the question then is, "Who would be the charismatic
temperate leader?", the Dr. King figure that would temper the force of the
radicals while encouraging and/or shaming the Dragareans into seeing the
true results of their own prejudice.

Of course, Dragaera isn't 20th Century America and their highly stratified
society that supports divinely inspired prejudice amongst their own kind
(the Houses) would likely have made them less amenable than American society
has turned out to be over the last few decades.

Anyway, I think Cawti would have, and possibly still could be, a successful
leader of a social revolution rather than a  proletariat revolution. The
existence of the Cycle pretty much seals the doom of any real proletariat
uprising, while the attitudes of the rulers, as evinced in private to Vlad
by those very same rulers, show that they might be open to social change IF
that change benefited the Empire without seriously messing with its
foundations, IMO.

>Background question: Is there anything keeping Easterners from joining
>House Teckla and coming under the equal protection of the law, such as
>it is?

Hard to say. In this matter, we're generalizing from a single example - The
only way we even know it's a possibility is that _Brokedown Palace_ opens
with Miklos returning home from spending a couple of years as a Tekla. The
procedure appeared to be simply "ask and ye shall receive" since, who in his
right mind would ever WANT to be a Tekla? Likewise, when Miklos leaves, he
just walks away one day and nobody really bothers about it. What's one less
Tekla, especially an Easterner? I don't remember whether Sandor is said
specifically to have come by his link to the Orb in the same way or if we're
just left to assume it. I lost my copy of the book ages ago.

There must be some limitation, if only the number of peasants that any
particular estate can support, that keeps the Easterners concentrated in the
slums rather than migrating to the country. Maybe it's just the intertia of
tradition.