[Dragaera] The Red Badge of Courage

Scott Crain s_thomas_crain at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 07:26:38 PDT 2008

While I can't find the exact line in Stephen Crane's book, I did note while re-reading Dragon that it is very clearly referenced.

Chapter 12, 'A Few Bumps and Bruises'

... and Virt, limping along next to me, said that the bandage around my forehead made me look like a real warrior.

p.201, first mass market edition

Especially exquisite is that Vlad received this wound when he was rushing at his opponent; she caught him perfectly, but it was with the flat of the blade.  Compare this to how the main character in Red Badge of Courage gets -his- head injury -- running headlong away from his first battle, he slams into a tree branch.

Vlad also loses his cap (for which, I think, I'm pretty clearly imagining an American Civil War foraging cap...); the main character in Red Badge of Courage also loses his, if I recall correctly.

Yet another item for the Cracks & Shards Allusions page.  :)

S. Thomas Crain
Author-in-Training