[Dragaera] How are Teckla Republics formed?

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 11:28:00 PDT 2008

In article <02ed01c8902f$c3058280$1a25ae3f at MAGNUM>, scott at cjhunter.com
(Scott Schultz) wrote:

> I don't know if Steve intentionally setup Teckla's neighbors on the
> Cycle, but they are singularly appropriate. The Orca have the hard,
> predatory nature that is the natural oppressor of the peasant
> combined with the mercantile drive to exploit and use them to the
> point of revolt. The Jhegalla have the adaptive nature to survive and
> eventually overcome the Republic no matter what outlandish form it
> takes from Cycle to Cycle.

"If you push Teckla hard enough, they eventually show courage", as
someone from the Phoenix and Dragon dominated societies we are familiar
with might put it. In a more abstract sense, you have to consider that
much about the Empire will change in response to the cycle. This doesn't
mean it ceases to be the Empire: consider the differences between the
social atmospheres of different US presidencies for small-scale examples.

> I guess I wouldn't be all that surprised that out of seventeen Teckla
> Republics there have, in fact, been seventeen DIFFERENT sorts of
> governments managing that Republic.

Yes, although probably all following some traditions from the first one.

--
John Dallman, jgd at cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.