[Dragaera] Dragaeran empire compared to China

Martin Wohlert martin_wohlert at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 19:39:41 PDT 2008

I've been a member of this list for a few years now, and I
realised that there's a thought I haven't shared with you, neither
does it seem as if it's been mentioned.

The Dragaeran Empire feels like a fantasy version of China.
Well, not culturally (and there's no elves in China either...),
but geographically it feels like a mirrored version of (historical)
China, a big empire with just a few civilized neighbors, Elde
and Grenaere which could be seen as Japan and Korea. These
neigbors live under the threat of invasion, but manage to hold it
off.
The East would then correspond to the lands to the west of China,
viewed as barbarous by the Dragaerans/Chinese.

Have I hit upon something, or is this just obvious/uninteresting?

/Martin