[Dragaera] Subjective conversation here!

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Apr 28 10:11:10 PDT 2008

> I do have an issue with how it seems to be
> accepted that Spellbreaker was once a fully built Great Weapon... didn't
> the
> Serioli say it wasn't one, yet?  No references, since I am AFB and am not
> pursuing this scholarly - but "yet" is different than "was, and will be"
> in
> my mind.  Considering how much trouble the prhase "our world" was in
> Jhereg,
> I can imagine that words were chosen carefully there.

I think that the thing we're supposed to take from Vlad and Morrolan's
conversation with the old Serioli is that the Serioli are inscrutable. Their
language has words that can describe future events in the past-tense,
indicating that their idea of time is rather different than ours. "Prophecy"
may be a foreign idea to a race that is able to perceive all time from a
single viewpoint outside of the normal "flow" of time.

Essentially, Remover-Of-Aspects-Of-Deity is created, used, and unmade.
However, the Gods were not able to destroy it completely. Their efforts to
get rid of it entirely may well have resulted in the parts being scattered
to other dimensions, where the Jenoine happened to find one piece and Lorran
happened to find the other and both ended up in the "past" in order to
complete the life line of the weapon and allow it to be built in the first
place.

It's a puzzle, though. Godslayer is a legendary weapon before Vlaad ever
puts it together. Where did the legend come from? The problem is that
anything intimately related to the Lords of Judgement is something that
transcends time and space. Trying to fit some kind of causality to it is
probably an exercise in futility.