[Dragaera] New member introduction

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 10:48:51 PDT 2008

From: "Tom Foolery" <tomasfoolery at gmail.com>
> Thanks Martin!
>
> It's a startling thought, I think, one worth chewing over mentally.
>
> Is there a cheat sheet of theories?  As a new member, I can tell you, there
> is quite a bit of history here.  I almost feel as if some could say in
> rebuttal, "Standard argument #4!" to which another member could reply,
> "Reasoning #2, with Inside Joke #17 tied in!"
>
> I suppose it is a danger of any long standing mailing list.  Well, as long
> as people don't mind a slightly slow new member asking for clarification
> when something comes up I missed, I will just keep asking.  I apologize in
> advance for the increased quantity of mail.

It's more than okay.

Having fresh thoughts on long-standing theories forces us to re-evaluate the ideas, and perhaps allows us to consider angles that we might have missed the first dozen times around.

That makes for healthy discussion, IMO, and is exactly why I enjoy reading this list in the first place.

Just be prepared for some rather well-thought-out responses to some points that have been hashed over before.

The best repository for well-debated theories is probably the Lyorn Records wiki, though there are certainly some ideas that haven't made it over there yet.