[Dragaera] Sethra and Paarfi

Tom Foolery tomasfoolery at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 10:51:16 PDT 2008

Philip chastised:

> > What is interesting about this is that many of the so-called "proofs"
>
> Does anyone actually so call them?
>
> > can be actually used to disprove the theory as well
>
> I don't think you quite understand the meaning of "prove", or "theory".

Haha!  Ouch!  There's much I don't understand, sir, which is why I gladly
write as much as I do.  I'd rather be thought foolish in my quest to
understand, especially when there are those willing to help me to become
enlightened.  Or at least, less foolish.

Of course, if you would like to define which aspect of the word theory you
wish to use, please let me know.  I was using it in a badly bastardized
version of a mathematical theory/proof.  My apologies!  These darn words, so
subjective in their use...

> Note "unpopular".  Also note the value to the regime of evidence of
> a record of ongoing efforts against even a hated foe.

I think I agree on this point.

> Elsewhere in the thread, note that Rushdie did not anticipate having
> to spend a decade hiding in fear of his life.

Which could be why we won't be seeing many Paarfi novels from here on out,
no?

> Why might the Histories be accurate?  Because
> Sethra was there and is reporting through Paarfi.  And it would be beneath
> her to lie, esp. when other witnesses could give her the lie.  This leads
> to a maximally-legible reading of the Histories,  in which Sethra's
> probable motives can be used to see past Sethra's propaganda.

Well... there's so much here.  Why must they be true?  Why must they make
sense?  While it may be that I am asking simple questions, haven't we
already seen that Paarfi would indeed lie?  Pardon, say that others are
mistaken in their memories?  He has admitted to making stuff up.

I don't mean to be difficult, I am not saying, "No!  Impossible!" because I
disagree out of hand, I am asking, "Why are people thinking this way?  Why
am I disagreeing with the theo- I mean argument, and yet agreeing with the
proo- I mean points that make up the arguments?"

It's because my own personal ideas are being altered and that is never easy,
especially since I've been holding onto them for so long.

Tomas