[Dragaera] Vlads blood

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon May 19 22:00:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Mark Mandel wrote:

> 3. Although Dragaerans are bigger and stronger than Easterners, and
> live fifty times as long, every Dragaeran is constrained by the genes
> of gya's House (or House(s), in the case of crossbreeds) and *cannot*
> act otherwise. This implies that Dragaerans are LESS than human in some
> real and important sense.

This seems rather Calvinistic to me.  It's Vlad's view perhaps in
_Jhereg_ but I think he spends a lot of time subsequently walking
it back.  Khaavren isn't less than human in any sense I can think of.

Perhaps a warmer version of your argument about the structure of the
Vladiad is that Vlad is not a complete human being to start (because
of his difficult and largely loveless life) but by being exposed to
people with various facets of humanity exaggerated he learns to be
whole.