[Dragaera] [SPAM] Re: Vlads blood

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue May 20 08:20:53 PDT 2008

Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> Hmmm. In cases like this, the distinction between "cannot" and "will
> not" is fuzzy and perhaps doesn't matter. Okay, so perhaps Morrolan
> "cannot" (because he's a Dragon) ignore an insult. Is he any more
> constrained than Vlad, who will not pass up a good meal at Valabar's
> ta save his life?
>
> I don't buy the idea that being fully human consists in freedom from
> (internal) constraints on your behavior. That's like saying that
> humanity consists in the lack of a personality.
>
> -Max
I agree.   The story about the Scorpion and the Frog illustrates this.
And lots of other literature.

This is especially common when the literature is about avatars and gods,
where destiny seems to be stronger than deityhood.  (Most such
literature came out before churches inflated deity powers away from
their origins).

I tell my wife in lovemaking that I could ignore her whenever I want -
as I do exactly the opposite.   The point is - I can't or won't "not want".

Vlad lives in a world of deities, super-deities,  and of beings like
people who are wise and predict the future.  You think he can actually
stop his destiny?  (I can see him fulfilling it by stopping what he
thinks his destiny is though).