[Dragaera] incident with Pel

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 13 13:25:12 PDT 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Casey Rousseau wrote:

> Is it just me or is Pel much more devious than his counterpart, Aramis?

I'd say that Brust's secondary characters are given more prominence than
Dumas's.  Long stretches of _LTM_ concern D'Artagnan alone, or him and
just one musketeer, or him and his lackey.  We do see Aramis being
devious, or hypocritical depending on one's viewpoint, pretty much
whenever he's on page, but his scope for action is rather less.  The
incident in _LTM_ in which Aramis writes a coded letter is probably a
source for Pel, and his interest in and success with women is another.