[Dragaera] Seventeen Maybe Different Jhegaala Spoilers

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jul 14 12:23:31 PDT 2008

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Scott Schultz wrote:
>
>> *spoilers space that won't do you any good if you get the digest...*
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
> He takes off the gold stone for just a moment, incidental to taking off
> the black stone - and we have seen in _Orca_ that Loiosh will detect
> a locator spell, and anyway Vlad was still wearing Spellbreaker.

Well, yes, but that's why he goes to such lengths to put himself in a
defensive position. At the time he removes the phoenix stone, Vlad has
prepared for the unlikely, yet possible, scenario of a Jhereg assassin
teleporting right into the stable. An invisible one at that. Note also that
Loiosh DID detect something; he just wasn't sure what it was. Paraphrased -
"I blocked you from it, so it wouldn't affect your Working, but I wasn't
able to block it from you." As it turned out, it was a couple of somethings
at the same time. Spellbreaker is irrelevant to being found, though of
course quite relevant to dealing with the fallout of such an event.

> Also, I don't understand how an assassin is supposed to find out enough
> to bribe a servant of the Count and then try to subvert Dahni without
> making, or certainly risking, a big ripple of gossip.

Here again, we're left with the mystery of a Count who knows about the Court
of a faerie kingdom on the other side of "impassible" mountains.

It isn't spelled out, but it's pretty clear that someone from the Empire has
been to Burz or its environs before. Find that person, or even just someone
who has visited Fenario City and memorized it, and you've got instant access
to the area and enough information to know where to look for an informant.
Vlad did this sort of thing all of the time. You watch the comings and
goings, draw conclusions and act on them. I have little trouble believing
that a top Jhereg assassin who wanted to "case" an Easterner town without
being seen would find a way to do that. Dahni is shown to be greedy and gold
is clearly gold regardless of its origin. Especially when you're dealing
with someone who convinces you that saying "no" is a death sentence, and
that person displays the morganti blade he's carrying by way of convincing
you.

I'm not sure where the gossip would come from as long as Dahni kept his
mouth shut about it.