[Dragaera] Seventeen Maybe Different Jhegaala Spoilers

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:37:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Kenneth Gorelick wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Scott Schultz wrote:
>
>> *spoilers space that won't do you any good if you get the digest...*
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *<SNIP>
>>>
>>> 4. Someone who has read more than one book on the relevant historical
>>> era might chime in on Coven/Guild/Manor as Church/Guild/Manor in the
>>> Middle Ages or early Industrial Revolution.  Or maybe "Coven" = "Jews"
>>> is a useful comparison.
>>
>> Not much to say about this except that I was somewhat surprised by the
>> portrayal of Father Noij as very much like a friar or Christian priest. Not
>> at all what I would have expected from a priest of Verra. The business with
>> Vlad claiming Sanctuary was also a very medieval churchy thing. Unusual,
>> but maybe that just says that Verra has many facets and the one you see
>> depends upon which eyes you choose to look at her with.
>

> Just note that at the Merss funeral the priest is making "cabalistic
> gestures"; note further that the Kabalah is a Jewish mystical tradition,
> and perhaps it is the Church of Verra which is really the Jews in the
> story...

Good catch.  Noij is entirely separate from the Coven, isn't he?
Which is a bit odd in comparison to Arra's setup.

What I meant about "personal connection" re Verra was Vlad not telling
Noij that he'd met her multiple times and the fastest way to get on her
bad side would be not to support him whole hog.