[Dragaera] More Jhegaala Spoilers -- Analysis of the life stages

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jul 14 15:22:08 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Rapaport" <steve at romlin.com>
To: <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info>
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 2:59 PM
Subject: [Dragaera] More Jhegaala Spoilers -- Analysis of the life stages

>I just added this to the wiki but I'm proud of it and wanted to share with
> y'all.
>
> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers
>

> Spoilers

Good anlysis on the life stages. I had figured on examining that on the
second read through. Now I can concentrate on Six Parts Water. Ha ha!

> It's too bad the Levidopt stage isn't mentioned as an immobile stage,
> because it would present an attractive parallel. Instead, an oblique
> reference to Nero Wolfe <http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Nero_Wolfe>, the
> overweight armchair detective, is brought to our attention in case we
> hadn't
> noticed that Loiosh is acting as Archie
> Goodwin<http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Archie_Goodwin>to Vlad's Nero.
> (P.260: "You know, Loiosh, I think I could get used to
> having you fly around and find out things for me while I just sit and do
> the
> thinking." "Heh. In a year you'd weigh three hundred pounds.")

Good catch there. I've never read Nero Wolf - I guess I should. This just
confirms my feeling that a big part of the story is a homage to the classic
detective story genre. Six Parts Water features attributes of The Thin Man
and Sherlock Holmes, IMO, as well as probably some classic plays. I wouldn't
recognize Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple, but I should take a look for Phil
Marlowe or Sam Spade.That even explains some things about Loiosh's part in
that section of the book. I was feeling like he was being rather unlike his
usual self. Now I see part of the reason why.