[Dragaera] irony in _Jhegaala_ - spoilers

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 14 17:22:51 PDT 2008

       My children, latest generation born from Cadmus,
       why are you sitting here with wreathed sticks
       in supplication to me, while the city
       fills with incense, chants, and cries of pain?*
       Children, it would not be appropriate for me
       to learn of this from any other source,
       so I have come in person.I, Oedipus,
       whose fame all men acknowledge. But you there,
       old man, tell me.you seem to be the one
       who ought to speak for those assembled here.
       What feeling brings you to me.fear or desire?
       You can be confident that I will help.
       I shall assist you willingly in every way.
       I would be a hard-hearted man indeed,
       if I did not pity suppliants like these.

       What, were you expecting Alanis Morissette?

So it's quite the situational irony that Vlad has to call on Dhani to
be rescued, given that the latter is working for the assassin.
A passage where there's more is on page 150, where Dhani notes
that the truth always got him a beating, and where he talks about
sending his conclusions by post (later echoed by the sending of the
paper recipe by post).