[Dragaera] SKZB is prescient!

Marcus Grymme marcus.grymme at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 10:20:06 PDT 2008

First, hello to everyone! I've been reading Mr. Brust's books for years, but
just found out about this mailing list
and subscribed to it.

I bought Jhegaala last weekend, but I decided to re-read the entire series
before reading the new book, and I saw
something amusing in Orca. In chapter 13, Kiera and Vlad are discussing
banks and how they make money.
Paraphrasing, a bank's reputation is partially determined by how much money
it has. The amount of money it has
is both the cash it has on-hand, and the amount of money it has given out in
loans. Making more loans increases
the money they have "on the street", making them look better. Making more
loans also requires being less
selective about the people to whom they give the loans. So by making a lot
of high-risk loans, they can look like
they are doing great, while they are in reality "Tottering on the edge of
ruin."

To me, this is conclusive proof that
     A) The US banking industry, particularly the mortgage banks, are run by
Orca with Jhereg influence.
     B) SKZB predicted this over a decade ago.

I guess now this leaves us with the task of figuring out who to kill to try
to straighten it out. :-)

Marcus

-- "There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary
and those who don't."