[Dragaera] Jhegaala etc. (no spoilers, I think)

Matthew Jennings attjen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 07:10:17 PDT 2008

After completing my detailed re-reading this week, I have to admit that I
failed as a reader the first time through.  I blame being far too impatient
as my inner-self started muttering "Get on with it!" in the middle of the
book.  I also missed so many of the great lines, that when I finished the
first time I really could only think of a handful of favorite quotes.

Second time through, taking my time, reading it closer, not in a rush to
find out "what happens", and I have to admit this one's got nearly as many
great lines as Issola (the current leader).  A great part of this is due to
Loiosh being at his snarkiest best, and let me just add: Loiosh rocks.  This
is as much his book as any we've seen so far, and he rules.  He's my hero.
(And Rocza is just nearly too cute, too.)

On the whole, I think this book starts to fill in the gap between Phoenix
and Athyra nicely, and you can see Vlad's drift towards the isolated,
suspicious, and manipulative character you find in Athyra.

So, on to the notes:
The infamous p.22 "Dzur".  Actually, I kind of like the idea of Vlad being
told that Dzur hunt the forests.  It seems like something a Dzur might do.
Because it is just so silly and... um, macho?...

Conspicious by its absence: a moon.  Is the Dragaeran 'planet' moonless? Did
we already know this. Would have been handy for Vlad.

Vlad's making of his 'life-enemy' may be one of my favorite things ever.  I
definitely want to add it to Vlad's enemies on the wiki. (If somebody
doesn't beat me to it.)

Nesiffa powder: I can't help but feel that it does more than what Vlad
describes.  He says its part of a treatment for curing migraines. Any chance
that the powder interferes with psionics? No? Just asking.

p.265 - Interesting hints towards a future book.  Why do I get the feeling
that it probably involves a lot more foul-ups than Vlad admits to?

And we learn that this happened three years before the telling of it.  Which
( I think) implies that Vlad was on the run for at least that long.  I'd
make that meaning that the telling of this happened not too long before
Athyra, but wouldn't swear to it.

Matt