[Dragaera] Jhegaala crack (spoiler)

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 11:47:31 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>>> "Yeah, I know that", and furthering the conversation.  But rereading the
>>> passages you helpfully quote, everything seems perfectly fine.  In
>>> _Jhegaala_, Vlad says, I heard someone claim x, and that's stupid.  In
>>> _Issola_, Teldra tells Vlad x, and he's surprised, because, well.
>
>>> [Me saying M couldn't be that dumb was snipped]
>

>> He's not surprised that something he was skeptical of turns out to be
>> true. The notion of Morrolan not knowing he was human is new to him,
>> hence "You're going to have to explain that."  He is baffled and THEN
>> surprised, which is inconsistent with Jhegaala.
>
> As I said, Vlad thought not x because x->y, and he's sure of not y
> (that is, he knows M isn't stupid) - he "hadn't known he was Dragaeran -- just thought he was a very tall human. I'd never asked him if it were true, but I didn't believe it; the differences were too obvious."
> I don't at all understand the bafflement then surprise distiction you're
> trying to make.

In Issola, it's clear from the text that the idea that Morrolan could
have thought he was human was new to Vlad. You're claiming that he
believed !x since x -> y, but in fact he had no opinion about x
because it had never occurred to him.

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a
man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.