[Dragaera] levidopt [_Jhegaala_ spoilers]

Steve Rapaport steve at romlin.com
Mon Aug 4 04:49:07 PDT 2008

2008/8/4 Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> 0

> 16
>
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Mark Mandel wrote:
>
>  The names of the jhegaala's developmental stages look and sound like real
>> biological words, but (except for "egg") I'm pretty sure they're all
>> invented. Raw Google hits:
>>
>>  - Apoptera: 2, both in Swedish, typos for *adoptera*, meaning 'adopt'
>>

> This is reminiscent of "apoptosis", a variety of programmed cell death.
> Which is important in an embryo's development, so it's quite relevant.
> Maybe even Vlad's loss of a finger is covered.  And maybe even Verra's
> dream intervention is alluded to via "programmed".

Deja vu:  from my posting July 15:
"Levidopt" sounds like "Lepidoptera",  the genus including moths and
butterflies
Then again, "Apoptera" sounds to me like "Apoptosis", preprogrammed cell
death.
Or even like "Apophenia", the delusionary perception of patterns in random
images or data.  Somewhat like my whole analysis, perhaps.
So who knows?

But I like your interpretations on what the reminiscence of "apoptosis"
might mean.  How about "apophenia"?

Steve

--
\Steve