[Dragaera] Another (minor) Jhegaala thought

Margaret Young myoung at albion.edu
Fri Aug 15 10:54:58 PDT 2008

"hermeneutics" is often used in my field without any religious implication/overtones. To quote the Stanford Enclycopedia of philosophy. "Now hermeneutics is not only about symbolic communication. Its area is even more fundamental: that of human life and existence as such. It is in this form, as an interrogation into the deepest conditions for symbolic interaction and culture in general, that hermeneutics has provided the critical horizon for many of the most intriguing discussions of contemporary philosophy, both within an Anglo-American context (Rorty, McDowell, Davidson) and within a more Continental discourse (Habermas, Apel, Ricoeur, and Derrida)."

Margaret

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Peter Granzeau wrote:

> At 06:57 PM 8/14/2008, Philip Hart wrote:
>> Maybe there's something tricky going on along the lines of your hermeneutics, but
>> I'm stuck on just the exegesis here.
>
> Huh?  WTH do those two ten dollar words mean, anyway?

They mean I beat the hell out of my dictionary.

For the record "hermeneutics" and "exegesis" are words for explanations
of texts, and have a religious overtone, which is appropriate when
discussing the Texts (this little running joke of mine is the esoteric
reason for using the words).  The former has (unless I'm confused) an
implication of secret meanings while the latter implies an obvious
reading.  Paarfi-is-Sethra is a hermeneutical reading, while "how
many weeks are there between _Phoenix_ and _Jhegaala_ based on
Vlad's statements here and here" is exegesis.  What's funny (well,
what I found funny) was that Alexx and I more often follow the
opposite approaches.