[Dragaera] Jo Walton 'devoured' the Vladiad

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Sep 7 10:06:21 PDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Johne Cook wrote:

> http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=4435

She complains about rehashes and praises _The Name of the Wind_,
which is pure influence - _Wizard of Earthsea_ + Hardy's _Master of the
Five Magics_ provide, unaltered, the magic system and much of the plot.
It's a good read, except for the slowness of the buildup and about
a hundred pages towards the end where the book goes off into a
painfully-written relationship-building diversion, but all the time
I was reading I kept thinking, "Here we have a bit from classic x,
here's the usual the-hero-can-do-everything-perfectly plotting,
here's the usual the-hero-doesn't-understand-women shenanigans".