[Dragaera] Vlad and his father

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 11:40:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:
> An idle notion while re-reading.  Vlad almost never talks about his
> father, and when he does, he is usually contemptuous or dismissive.  But
> it's rare for two chapters to go by without Vlad's deep and abiding love
> of cooking and eating being mentioned.  And who do you think he learned
> those things from?  While we don't, strictly speaking, *know* the answer
> to that, his father the restaurateur seems the most obvious candidate.  So
> it seems that, in some senses, his father's influence on him is incredibly
> strong.

Possible. On the other hand, it's also possible that love of food is
simply an inherited trait which Vlad and dad happen to share. On the
third hard, dad's picky attitude toward finger foods (in /Issola/)
could have reinforced whatever picky tendencies Vlad inherited,
whether Vlad liked him as a person or not.

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a
man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.