[Dragaera] Klava

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Wed Sep 17 13:36:45 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugene Zaretskiy" <eugene.zar at gmail.com>

> Anyone got any klava stories? It's hard for me to believe no one else
> has tried this.
>
> - Eugene (and Ben)

Around the time that Issola was released, there was a big thread about the
possibilities of Klava as a real drink. Someone went to the trouble of
trying to build a klava press and filter, using a french press, with mixed
results as I recall. There was some debate as to what kind of wood chips to
use, with poison being one of the concerns. *heh*

If you search the archives for "klava" you're bound to find it sooner or
later. It's interesting to hear how your "klava" turned out. Also that you
used an Aeropress instead of the french press. If the Aeropress gives
superior results on ordinary coffee, than that may have contributed to your
klava turning out alright. Vlad never mentioned anything about a micro
filter as part of the equipment. *heh* It's an interesting question, though,
since the stories sort of take for granted that the "listener" already knows
what a klava press is. Maybe it IS something that presses the coffee through
the filter instead of pressing the filter through the coffee (which is
essentially the function of a french press). I think you may have hit on the
key to good klava right there!

I recall that there was a fair amount of debate about whether eggshells
would have any noticable effect on coffee that was pressed through them.
Typically, when one uses eggshells to mellow a harsh brand of coffee, the
eggshells are boiled in the water along with the coffee and then strained
out.