[Dragaera] If the Vlad books were made into a movie...

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Mon Sep 22 15:38:26 PDT 2008

Michael Wojcik wrote:
> Jon Lincicum wrote:
>>
>> It's when Keira is explaining who heads Division Six -- She says it's
>> the "Prime Minister, when there is one, except right now it's the
>> Minister of the Houses."
>>
>> Last we heard, Pel was Prime Minister, so this, to me, implies that
>> something has happened to Pel. Okay, it's pretty oblique. Maybe
>> doesn't affect him at all. (If, say, Pel got dismissed 150 years ago
>> and there have been 2-3 other Prime Ministers in the interim.)
>> However, it still does mean that Pel is *NOT* still where we left him
>> at the end of /Sethra Lavode/ by the time of Vlad.
>
> I don't see it, myself. To me, "when there is one, except right now"
> implies that there *is* a Prime Minister, but for some unspecified
> reason, the PM is not heading Division Six.

Jon was paraphrasing.  The actual quote is "They were responsible to the
Prime Minister, when there was one, or to the Minister of the Houses when
there wasn't." (p.118).  The following lines make it clear that the
Minister of Houses is in charge at present, which is a very strong
indication that there is no current Prime Minister.

Alexx

"Remember the old saying, Ratbert: You can lead a horse to water... but by
 the time you got there you'd smell like a horse and your butt would hurt."
     "If you stuck a hose in a horse's mouth and taped it there,
      could you make the horse drink?"
"Yeah, I've tried it."       -- Dogbert