[Dragaera] Some speculation on Spellbreaker

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Sep 29 13:38:52 PDT 2008

> If Scott's quotation is accurate (I'm travelling and don't have
> _Dragon_ handy), the Serioli says "were, or are to be, created
> together". I find it hard to read "created" as "found hidden inside a
> fake Morganti broadsword".

If binding to the soul of the bearer is considered to be part of the
creation process, then "found hidden inside a fake Morganti broadsword"
might well be the final step of creating Pathfinder. It's rather curious
that Berret (it WAS Berret who hid Pathfinder, wasn't it?) chose to squirrel
Pathfinder away instead of wielding it himself. It's possible that he was
unable to wield it because it didn't "fit" him. It required a special soul;
to wit, Aliera, who just happens to be the daughter of a God.

Pathfinder and Godslayer were designed to work in tandem. One to find a God,
the other to destroy him/her/it. Having a bit of a God as part of its
manufacture isn't that big a stretch. The Serioli even implies that
Pathfinder worked by using the "connections" that exist between things. It
would find Verra, if not some other God, by utilizing Aliera's connection to
her mother. How or why Aliera would consent to cooperate (or if her
cooperation is neccesary) is left as an exercise for the reader...
Pathfinder is what it is now because the theory behind its operation turned
out to have broader applications than just following a direct connection
between the bearer and the object of desire.

It's conceivable that Pathfinder, before it met Aliera, was just a very
potent morganti sword, just as Spellbreaker, by itself, was "just" a chain
that happened to be useful for interrupting magical energies. The
combination of chain, knife, and two souls, one living and one consumed,
were what created Godslayer. Pathfinder already had all but the final piece
neccesary to catalyze it's reaction. It's awakening by Aliera completed the
process.

It's not canon fact, but it fits everything we currently know about the
Great Weapons.