[Dragaera] How the world was made (formerly speculation on Spellbreaker).

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 19:27:13 PDT 2008

Philip Hart wrote:

>>> This works rather against the claim than for it - "sabotage"
>>> suggests that
>>> Verra killed the containment system in the J amorphia lab more than
>>> "Verra
>>> put an amorphia bomb in the J biologists' mess tent".
>>
>> I see no way to settle this point with available evidence. Both
>> theories are certainly possible.
>
> My version uses "sabotage" sensibly.  Yours requires V & friends
> coming up
> with an entirely new technology, not testing it, and using it to do
> something they probably had many other ways of doing given their access.

They were working for the Jenoine, and had access to their experiments,
equipment, and information. I find it plausible that they (Verra and the
other servants of the _J_) would have been able to make discoveries of
their own, hide them from the Jenoine, test them, and be certain of the
result before they acted.

Given the aforementioned tremendous power of the Jenoine, it would have
to be something unforseen by the J, and also something they would not
have the ability or technology to counter.

Both of these requirements tend to point to amorphia being a "new"
thing, hitherto unknown to them before the incident, otherwise, they
would have been unlikely to leave potentially rebellious servants in a
position to have direct access to such a thing.

>> I would point out that Verra might be the progenitor of the
>> Kieron-esque ability to create amorphia through sheer force of will.
>
> Plausible.
>
>> This could well be where the first amorphia on Dragaera came from,
>> and her "sabotage" consisted of dissolving some critical but
>> unrelated piece of Jenoine machinery into a puddle of metamorphic goo.
>
> "One Monday morning Verra is staring at the critical gene generation
> unit,
> without which the J couldn't carry on their work until the spare could
> be brought on line next Thursday.  She really hated the unit, having
> patched it with 100k years of duct tape.  And now she was going to
> have to reframzize the druplepan for the 17**3 time this millenium.
> All of a sudden she discovered  the ability to create raw chaos, and
> nearly destroyed the world."
>
> This would make the whole rebellion an accident.  "Sabotage" is kind
> of funny in that context.

"One Farmday, Verra notices strange readings from Test Subject 117a. The
funny little hybrid female with both Dragon and Dzur Genes seemed to
have inherently destabilizing waveform patterns in her dialistatic
inibration waves.The squzimator indicated that these would generate
waves that would destabilize matter in a self-perpetuating chain
reaction and overwhlem anything they might encounter--including the
Master's force control devices."

She kept her discovery a secret, encrypting the duzzlefram readouts,
sharing the information with the other servants of the Masters quietly
and in private. Over a period of months, the specimen was bombarded with
an electrostatic quadrifinium raditator, which enhanced the pyshic
abilities, and simultaneously gave the specimen and incredibly long
lifespan. Through the use of the raditatootin thought-controller, she
was able to train the specimen how to initiate the specific thought
waves. After multiple simulations in the bamboozletron showed the
results could not fail, Verra and he conspirators travelled to the
Master's Place -- a tall mountain that resembled one of the native
lifeforms of the planet.

There, deep in the bowels of the Master's control center, she placed the
specimen in the heart of the Master's
Electron-Bibbellium-Force-Generator, hooked in sequence with the Masters
main control computer; an artificial computer intelligence named
"Chaz".  With the computer's help, and Verra's mental control, she
directed the specimen to target the Master's main center of operations,
a large complex of in the northeast part of the continent, directly
below a large waterfall.

Verra knew it was risky. Verra knew that it was likely her actions would
destroy the entire world, if not the entire universe. She no longer
cared. Being a slave to the Masters was no longer acceptable. Eternal
oblivion was a welcome alternative.

The explosion that followed was immense.

The reaction created a massive shockwave that completely caught the
Jenoine by surprise. The raw energy poured out of what was suddenly a
massive sea of chaos. In the mere instant that it took for this to
occur, however, Verra, the computer, and the Jenoine's test subject all
underwent massive changes. The knowledge of the sentient computer flowed
into Verra, the genetic modifications and longevity filling her
awareness and making her into something more. The sentient computer,
harnessing the energy of the explosion, was actually able to manifest
himself into human form. The test subject was imbued with parts of
each--the knowledge of the computer, and the realization of what she had
just unleashed onto the world.

As the Jenoine were consumed, Verra suddenly realized that it was in her
power to contain the explosion and save herself. First, she needed to
create a place disconnected from the rest of the world, that the
explosion could not touch, and that would give her the leisure to work
at her own pace. With with the nearly infinite knowledge imbued into her
mind by the computer, she hewed out a new metaphysical reality where
time meant nothing, and chaos could not permeate.

She was then faced with a dilemma. She could not leave the world, travel
to the new place she had made, while simultaneously holding the pathway
between them open. This would be possible once she reached the new
place, since it would grant her access to the nearly infinite planes of
existence. But to get there the first time, she needed someone to hold
the new place open, as well as someone to hold the pathway open between
them.

With a thought, she split herself into three parts, and traveled to her
new place. Her first "sister" holding the place open in her mind, and
her second "sister" channeling the power of the amorphia into a pathway
that allowed her passage. The center of the explosion became the portal,
and tied the new place to the world at that spot.

It was from here that Verra, along with her sisters, and the other
former servants of the masters, such as Barlan, and Nyssa, and Ordwynac,
and Trout, were able to stabilize the explosion and save the world. To
do this, they tied the power of the Jenoine's control system and the
computer that controlled it into a perpetual loop, directing the energy
of the expanding amorphia back into itself to prevent the sea from
expanding any further. This controlled the expansion, but meant that the
computer was forever tied to this task--else the explosion would resume,
and the world would end.

Sethra, as the specimen called herself, was offered godhood for her
actions. However, she declined. Her attachment to the artificial
intelligence, now made manifest, but confined to the oddly-shaped
mountain, convinced her that she would be needed at his side in order to
protect them all against the possibility of the Jenoine's return.

-----

I'm not saying this is how it happened. Just one of myriad ways that
things could have gone.

More complicated than your idea? Certainly.

But which is cooler?