[Dragaera] Vlad and the Undead

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Wed Oct 1 12:38:00 PDT 2008

Philip Hart:

> Unless I'm confused, Loraan is a principal in opposing the manifest will
> of (most of) the gods - he's bribed with the staff containing Aliera's
> soul to do something or other - suppress necromancy, find the door for
> the J, I forget what exactly if it's even
> clear.

(Alexx pokes at the text a bit, without a full reread...)

Yes, it seems clear that the gods are annoyed with him, and Verra even
gets explicit permission to "reward [him] appropriately". (Which perhaps
she does later by arranging for Morrolan to learn of the staff's
location.)

On the flip side, it may be that the gods do not have direct jurisdiction
over who does or does not become undead.  In _Taltos_, when Aliera is
attempting to argue Verra into letting Morrolan leave the Paths alive,
Verra says "Perhaps he can become undead and leave that way. There are
those who have managed this" (Tt 161).  She doesn't offer to make him
undead, nor even to help him become so.  Which might just be her being
unhelpful, but might also indicate that the process of becoming undead is
outside her influence.

Note that the Halls of Judgment are just one part of the Paths of the Dead
(or even another location entirely?).  Most people who travel the Paths
are on their way to the Halls, but someone who was deliberately planning
on becoming undead (and who might suspect that the gods held a grudge
against him) might not have to go to the Halls at all.

Alexx

"I guess grandparents and grandchildren always get along well.
 They have a common enemy."             -- Nurse Jones