[Dragaera] Dragaeran WMD

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 14:54:39 PDT 2008

--- On Sun, 10/5/08, Maximilian Wilson <wilson.max at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Maximilian Wilson <wilson.max at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Dragaera] Dragaeran WMD
> To: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
> Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 2:30 PM
> If you were the Emperor, what sorts of low-probability,
> high-impact
> threats would keep you up at night?
>
> * There must have been hundreds of thousands of descendants
> of the
> e'Kieron/e'Lanya line by now.

The noble houses seem to have low birth rates (but in
general there are very few siblings on Dragaera,
especially for major characters).  And Dragons pop
off all the time (or did before revivification) in
duels and battles.  It's a wonder there are any left--
still more that there are any Dzur.

Speaking of siblings, has anyone pointed out that
the embarrassing conversation between Piro and
Ibronka, with "If you had a brother--" is an old
joke?  The punchline is something like, "If you
had a brother, would he like noodles?"  (/LOCB/,
Chapter the Sixtieth.)

> If canon is to believed, many of them
> will have the same ability as Aliera and Vlad to create raw
> amorphia
> from nothing. It is even possible that some of these souls
> have
> reincarnated as Easterners by now. At any moment, somebody
> could set
> off another Adron-sized amorphia bomb which the Gods could,
> probably,
> contain. This reassures me only somewhat. Perhaps this is
> why study of Elder Sorcery is illegal.

I nearly think so.  Also, I'd assume young e'Kierons
get dire warnings, even more dire than the ones about
playing with kerosene.  Vlad's situation was dangerous
to the world because he found out he could make amorphia
but wasn't part of the culture that had managed it
safely (except for one incident).

I suspect most reincarnations of e'Kierons can't make
amorphia and suspect more strongly that most who can
don't realize it.

Jerry Friedman