[Dragaera] The Enclouding

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 11:40:26 PDT 2008

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, J C wrote:
>
> > I mean, as far as I can tell, Adron's disaster brought to an abrupt halt
> > all magically "polluting" processes.  Sure, a smog cloud that large
> > would linger, but for how long?  Remember the Interregnum lasted
> > CENTURIES.
>

> Do we not have any indication in the Pirodyssey that the Enclouding
> thinned during the Interregnum?  E.g., comparing what we see in
> Adrilankha or elsewhere at that time vs Vlad's time?

I think the closest we would come is the part of /The Paths of the Dead/ where Piro, Lar and Kytraan are climbing Dzur Mountain, and make observations on the enclouding. Unfortunately, there is no real text evidence offered in this discussion comparing the state of the enclouding at the end of the Interregum to the beginning.

The following page on the Lyron Records is pertinent to this discussion:

http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Speculation:Enclouding

I am of the personal opinion that the pollution is tied more to the USE of the amorphia, than its mere presence. As indicated, however, the enclouding has been building up for 240,000 years or so. A brief period of 240-odd years with minimal sorcery being used (by people like Tazendra, Orlaan, and Sethra) is not going to make any significant dent in that.