[Dragaera] The Enclouding

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Thu Oct 9 15:20:33 PDT 2008

Jon Lincicum:
>> What was Rocza's impression of the Enclouding in Athyra? She held her
>> breath
>> when flying through it, as I recall, but I can't shake loose any
>> particular
>> reference to its basic nature.
>
> It did not seem to harm Piro, Lar, and Kytraan when they passed through it
> in
> /VoA/.
>
> Rocza may just be hanging out with too many superstitious Easterners.

In _Dragon_, Castle Black is inside the Overcast at one point (138-139),
which suggests that, at least at some densities, it won't harm humans or
Dragaerans.  But that doesn't have much bearing on whether or not it
affects jhereg.  (Then again, the effect might just be "This smells bad,
so I'd prefer not to breathe it", without it actually being harmful.)

OTOH, that passage has other interesting features; it implies strongly
that while Castle Black is (at that time) hidden from view from below by
the overcast, people inside CB could still see the ground.  Is there some
sort of polarization?

Alexx

"With _From Hell_, and in light of the above, I suppose I'd have to say
 that if there was one line that strick an eerily resonant unconscious
 chord with what later developed in the book, it would be a line from
 the prologue, spoken by Robert Lees and included for no real reason
 other than that it sounded good and seemed appropriate:  "I made it
 all up, and it came true anyway.  That's the funny part.""
    -- Alan Moore, in correspondence with Dave Sim about _From Hell_