[Dragaera] The Enclouding

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Oct 10 11:55:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, October 9, 2008 13:40, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> As indicated, however, the
> enclouding has been building up for 240,000 years or so. A brief period of
> 240-odd years with minimal sorcery being used (by people like Tazendra,
> Orlaan, and Sethra) is not going to make any significant dent in that.

It depends on whether it's a physical thing in the atmosphere, produced by
magic, or whether it is itself magic in some way.

We know it doesn't extend thoroughly over the East, right?  Which means
it's not something physically persistent in the atmosphere over long
periods; otherwise it'd be evenly mixed throughout the entire atmosphere
by now.

Therefore, I think we have evidence that the enclouding is NOT something
that's just a physical result in the atmosphere of the use of magic.

It's something else -- some sort of magic hanging persistently over the
place, and enclouding the atmosphere locally as an ongoing thing, not
directly related to magic that instant.  It's a magical pollution which
THEN manifests as the physical enclouding.

And that means we can't use any kind of physical models for figuring out
how it "should" behave; since it's basically magical, they don't apply.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info