[Dragaera] The Enclouding

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Fri Oct 10 15:42:26 PDT 2008

Jon Lincicum:
>I was also trying to account for
> the fact that the overcast is apparently affected by weather, as noted in
> /Brokedown Palace/ (and elsewhere) where the wind can apparently cause it
> to drift over the east for brief periods.
>
> This would seem to indicate that SOME kind of mundane forces can influence
> whatever "stuff" the enclouding consists of. (Although I will freely grant
> this is not conclusive; it is merely based on the observations of a few
> characters.)

The appearance of the enclouding being affected by the weather is
extremely weak.  It's definitely affected by *something*, but that may or
may not be 'weather', per se.  The passage also includes the notion "The
people say it bodes great ill when it covers the whole of the land," which
(if 'the people' are correct, itself a dubious proposition) would imply
that the forces influencing the enclouding are along the lines of 'fate',
and not mundane at all.

(I personally think it's affected by weather, if only due to Occam's
Razor.  But Occam's Razor has often been trumped by the Cool Theory of
Writing :-)

Alexx

This sentance has threee errors.