[Dragaera] The Jenoine and humans elsewhere

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Oct 13 08:29:32 PDT 2008

> If we are to assume that the Easterners/humans came to Dragaera before
> the Jenoine — or at least without the aid of the J — then what of
> Earth/the place they came from? Have the J quarantined Dragaera — are
> they aware of the origins of the Easterners and are they are threat to
> those at that origin? Or may they be the cause (or one of the causes)
> why humans came to Dragaera once (or more than once) but came no more?
>
> Margaret

The only answer to any of these questions is speculation. Given that we know
that, I assume what you're asking for is the sorts of things that other
readers have speculated. ;-)

Whatever Earth was like when the original colonists left it, that Earth is
now long gone or at least long since changed. Easterners predate the Empire
and the Empire just concluded its first Great Cycle. Pulling a number
arbitrarily out of a hat, let's say that every turn of the cycle takes 1500
years. (It doesn't. They vary, sometimes wildly.)  That works out to, um,
*calculates* -  433,500 years. Give or take a few millenia. That's close to
half-a-billion years. By contrast, all of written human history is something
on the order of 10,000 years, I believe. Most of our
technological/scientific advancement has occurred within the last thousand
years. The Terra that sent out the original colonists quite literally does
not exist any more.

We don't know how long the colonists had been on Dragaera before the arrival
of the Jenoine. It may have been awhile. The Serioli that Vlad and Morollan
interview refers to Easterners as The Old People. That may simply be a
reference to the fact that Terrans pre-date Dragaerans, or it might also
indicate something about their relative "ages" as well. That is, if the
Terrans arrived one day and the Jenoine arrived a year later, the Serioli
(presumably the native species, or one of them) would think of both Terrans
and Dragaerans as "new".

Conversely, it might also indicate that the Serioli imagine themselves to be
"young" in relation to the Terrans, which would be an interesting thing to
ponder.

Given what we know about the Jenoine, I would guess that they don't give a
Chreotha's damn about Terra. They just happened to need a testing lab with a
breeding group of lab rats already thriving and they happened to find
Dragaera which just happened to have what they wanted. I don't think they
care where the Terran colonists came from and I'd guess that those colonists
were part of a far-flung program of colonization; not part of a
star-spanning empire that would expect to be engaging in commerce with all
of their colonies. As extra-dimensional beings, the Jenoine go where they
wish, when they wish, and the fact that there are other worlds in this
particular dimension means little or nothing to them.

If anyone has quarantined the world, it's the Lords of Judgement. That, in
fact, is their mission - to keep the world under quarantine forever in order
to prevent the Jenoine from obtaining mastery over amorphia and enslaving
them all again.

The fact that this also means keeping the Easterners in a kind of perpetual
cultural stasis may be a side-effect or it may be part of the overall plan.
We don't know. We don't really know much at all about the East outside of
Fenario, except that Vlad jokingly refers to setting himself up as a Sultan
with a harem at one point.

There's a whole _Lord of Light_ thing going on here when you talk about the
East, which isn't surprising given that Steve is a huge Zelazny fan and they
seem to have had a passing friendship or at least acquaintanceship - I
wouldn't deign to guess. At any rate, the situation of the Easterners
vis-a-vis the Gods is quite similar to that of the colonists vis-a-vis the
"Gods" in _Lord of Light_, even to the point of Bolk, a possible rogue God
or God-like being, taking on the role of Mahasamatman (er, Sam) as the
Light-Bringer who, whatever his reasons, is attempting to free at least some
of the Easterners from the yoke of the Gods.

It might be interesting to see where Fenario is in 1000 years.

If Vlad ever figures out that his Goddess is responsible for "managing" his
people so that they never can better themselves or advance beyond a certain
point, technologically and sociologically speaking, I suspect that he will
suddenly become a very dangerous threat to her...