[Dragaera] List messages

Michael Wojcik mwojcik at newsguy.com
Mon Oct 13 11:08:44 PDT 2008

Scott Schultz wrote:

> Taking a sampling of messages, mine was not the only uuencoded email to
> come through, so I'm inclined to imagine that Dorothy's problem was some
> sort of decoding problem with that specific message, or else she'd be
> complaining to more than just me. *heh*

Your message was Base64-encoded, not uuencoded, so that may be the
difference. (uuencode uses a 5-for-3 symbol set, while Base64, which
was invented for PEM, uses a 4-for-3; and there are some other
differences.) I'm not aware of any version of BSD Mail that tries to
decode uuencoded message bodies, but it's possible that Dorothy's MTA
does. If her MTA handles uuencoding but not Base64, the other messages
you examined might be corrected for her in transit.

There are other variables as well: transfer-encoding versus
content-encoding, improper adherence to the standards, and so on.

But as you say, the important thing is that you coaxed OE into sending
in the format you want, which is also the format that works for
Dorothy (and presumably everyone else), so everything's good now.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus