[Dragaera] undead in dragaera

J C greyw01f at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:26:26 PDT 2008

Well, here are the types of undead in Dragaera:

Vampire.  We know that Sethra is a vampire.  A tolerably old one, too, as a reduced need for blood is typical in modern literature with the older vampires.  Furthermore, Anne Rice's vampires turn almost to stone (Enkil and Akasha) as an indicator of their age, which parallels Sethra becoming part of Dzur Mountain, figuratively, if not literally :P   Still, I can't see Steve, with his interest in vampires, NOT reading (and being influenced by) Anne Rice's novels, regardless of how poorly they are written.

Lich.  I think that a solid case can be made for Loraan being a Lich.  He's a necromancer, a VERY accomplished wizard, who seems to have used to his magic at great sacrifice to himself to preserve his soul and thus prolong his life, and he's undead.  What is a lich, if not that?

Ghost.  The Easterner in _Teckla_ is a ghost, a pretty strong one, too.  Not too many ghosts that I've heard of can interact with the living via conversation.  Well, there's one in Jasper Fforde's "First Among Sequels"...

Spectral Essences.  Adron (post-disaster) is an example of this.  His body is destroyed, but some part of him, in a very literal way, lives on, and exerts some type of control over the Lesser Sea of Chaos.

Revivified.  These tend not to be treated as undead, but at least according to a Terran standpoint, someone who is killed and then brought back to life, by any means at all, is considered undead.  But for Dragaera's purposes, they're not undead.

Ex-Pathites.  These are undead that become undead in order to leave the paths.  Is this the same thing as a lich?  I don't know.  It's not necessary that they be vampires, either.  Does that mean that a reincarnated soul is "undead"?

These next types don't manifest on Dragaera (presuming it's called Dragaera, I think in a place where sorcery tells you of other planets and dimensions, it's absolutely impossible that they don't have a name for their own planet) but instead manifest in the Paths of the Dead.  As such they are more "dead" than "undead".  In fact, it's more like Vlad, Morrolan, and Zerika were "unalive" or "unliving".  Still, according to the Terran definition, they're dead people that are ambulatory, and they may as well be called corporeal, because there's no way to prove that they are or aren't.

Spirit.  An example of this type duels those who would walk the path of the Dragon, for instance.  They also congregate in the Halls of Judgement, a la Barritt.  Also, there are undead versions of the actual House Animals, ie, the Athyra, and the Dragon.

Undead Drone.  These are the servants of the Halls of Judgement.  They have no souls left, but they are still animated re-dead undead dead people.

All that being said, I think that the only "real" undead are vampires, liches and ghosts, and certain examples of ex-pathites.

Makes one curiuos, though, just how did Sethra become a vampire?  what was involved there?  Was it related to her leaving the dead? Literally, or, (pardon the pun) "Fatally" as in, as per the dictates of "Fate".  That is to say, did she leave the Paths and as required by fate, happen to come across a hungry vampire while on her way out or something?  Cause if that's the case, she's lucky she didn't become a zombie :P

Brains.